Student Visa

The Tier 4 (General) Student Visa was rebranded as the Student Visa at the end of 2020. There have been some changes made to the Student Visa, including a post-study option, effective as of June 2021.


To be eligible for the Student Visa, you must have received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, and have at least 70 points on the points-based immigration system.


Fill the form for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

UK Student Visa Application

To be eligible to study in the UK, you will need to provide evidence of your financial means. You need to show that you have enough money to support yourself in the UK.

As of October 5, 2020, the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa has been replaced with the “Student Route”. This will be available to EU/EEA nationals who whish to enter the country after January 1, 2021.

If you want to study in the UK, you will need to apply for the Student Visa. In the post-Brexit environment, both EEA nationals and non-EEA nationals will need to have an unconditional offer from a licenced sponsor to be eligible for the visa.

Those who graduate from an approved course in the UK will be able to remain in the country under the new Graduate Visa route for up to two years to live, work and look for work. PhD graduates will be able to do so for up to three years.


In this page, we set out everything you need to know about the new UK Student Route.


You will need to prove that you have the required sum of money for 28 consecutive days. At the end-date of this period must be within 31 days of the date you apply for the visa.

You can apply for a Student Visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

UK Student Visa Eligibility

If you are looking to apply for a UK Student Visa, there are certain requirements which you must fulfil.


The requirements for Student Visa are as follows:


Meeting the 70-point Requirement as a Student

Whilst the points-based immigration system might seem daunting, it is actually relatively straightforward to meet the 70-point threshold. Ultimately, if you meet the main eligibility criteria, you will hit the 70-point threshold.


The points work as follows:


What are the Course Requirements?

If you want to study in the UK must be in accordance with the rules of the Student Visa. Eligible courses include:


What are the Requirements Around Finances?

If you would like more information on the Student Visa, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

What is the English language requirement?

If you want to study in the UK, you must be able to demonstrate a certain level of English language ability. Those studying below degree level need to prove a level of B1, whereas those studying at degree level or above must have a B2 level.


The most common way of demonstrating your English ability is to take a SELT English language test.


The four approved SELT test providers are Trinity College London, ITELTS SELT Consortium, LanguageCert and Pearson Education Ltd.

You can take a test at test centres throughout the world. A list of approved test centres can be found here.

Exemptions from English language requirement


International students exempt from the English language requirement if:



Also, those from majority English-speaking countries will not need to fulfil the English language requirements.

Required Documents for Student Visa

As part of the Student Visa application process, you will need to submit certain information and documents. Without providing the necessary information and documentation, your application will not be successful.


Some of the required information and documents for the UK Student Visa are as follows:


If you are under 18, you will need to provide additional information including written consent from your parents/legal guardians showing that they consent to your visa application, your living and care arrangements in the UK and your travel to the UK.


Bear in mind that any documents which are not in English or Welsh must be translated by an accredited translator. You will need to provide both the original and translated versions in your portfolio of evidence.

How to Apply for a Student Visa

The Student Visa application is done online, and you can apply from both inside and outside the UK. Most applicants choose to complete their visa application from their home country.


The first step is to complete the application form online. Once you have completed it, you will need to pay the application fee.


The current UK Student Visa fees are as follows:


If you complete your application outside the UK, you can expect to receive a decision within three weeks. Applications made inside the UK usually have a processing time of around eight weeks.

Here at the Immigration Advice Service, we can help you to formulate your application for a Student Visa to the highest standard. Our experienced immigration lawyers have helped international students from all over the world to begin a new and exciting adventure in the UK. Whether you are applying to study in the UK from your home country or inside the UK, we are here for you.

If you would like more information on the Student Visa, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Can I Extend the Student Visa?

Student Visa extensions are possible for students in certain circumstances. Currently, it’s also possible for the old Tier 4 (General) Student Visa to be extended too.


In order to extend the visa, the following must apply:


What are my Options After my Course has Finished?

One of the changes in the rebranding of the student route was the creation of a route to UK residency for students who have graduated from an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.


Sometimes referred to as the Graduate Visa, this immigration permission enables graduates to work, look for work and live in the UK for up to two years. PhD students can remain in the UK under the Graduate Visa for up to three years.


This immigration permission will open from the Summer of 2021 and will be available to all international students who have graduated.


If you need support with your Student Visa application, our immigration lawyers are based in London, Manchester, and Birmingham, as well as in many other locations throughout the UK. We look forward to assisting with your